Saturday, October 23, 2010

Staying sane 6

Further musings:

6. Take frequent breaks from research.

I've taken a number of breaks from researching UFOs. I think the longest was one of four years duration.

Breaks, particularly long ones, enabled me to escape the day to day tasks of investigating local UFO reports. The breaks also gave me time to reflect. I am a strong believer in allowing a thought or idea to sit in my mind for a while. I move on to other things, but eventually find I have achieved some insight into the original topic, even though I was not consciously thinking of it.

It was during a holiday in New Zealand that I read a book by an English psychologist, who mentioned, among other things, his knowledge of hypnagogic and hypnopompic imagery. I immediately saw its relevance to some UFO events where a witness who is on the boundary of sleep/awake, reports seeing something unusual in their bedroom. It appeared to me that some of these events were certainly hallucinatory in origin. I went on to write my first book around this idea. (Click here for details.)

Another holiday, this time in England, saw me visiting as museum in the city of Birmingham. One of the exhibits was the remains of a man, several hundred years old, who had a piece of metal in his head. This got me thinking about the topic of alien implants. Over the next 18 months I located in the UFO literature, numerous accounts of such implants and wrote a review article on the topic for the Journal of the J Allen Hynek Center for UFO Studies. (Click here for JUFOS articles list.)

On the negative side, during my long interest, I have seen quite a few of my fellow researchers become too obsessed with the subject, burn out and leave the field forever.

So, I definitely recommend taking a break from UFO research form time to time, for the above reasons.





No comments:

Post a Comment

European Parliament member and UAP

Five Eyes Out of the Five Eyes partners, which consists of the U.S.A., the U.K., Canada, Australia and New Zealand; questions about UAP hav...